Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Death by Design

Holy indecisiveness Batman! Invitation designing has been kicking my butt for most of January!


Source



And you know what? I’m technically not the one doing the actual designs. I think I might have mentioned that I’m a bit of a control freak. Oddly enough, I tend to relinquish quite a bit of control when I think someone is an “expert” in their field. I appreciate the fact that someone would take the time to work on my little project (shout out to Racaca!). My invitation designer is a friendor and that’s good news and bad news. The good news is it’s free!  The bad news is that I can totally keep changing my mind about everything since I’m not paying by design or by the hour.

As it is with most artists this friendor can be very particular and also likes changing things and giving me extra options to consider. I hate options ( well not really) . Options mean I have to make a decision and grrr…I’m so indecisive. In any event  here are some things that caused me strife when designing my invites.

COLORS

Oh sure, I know what colors I want. Silver and purple. Well, my dears, there are many different silvers and many different purples. Ummm…I have to choose one silver for the paper and one purple for the ink? Just one? But they are all sooo pretty.
Quite the dilemma, I know.


PAPER

Is this too thick? Is this thick enough? Can I fold it? Can I cut it? Will it go through my printer? Text weight? Cover weight? Sigh.


FONTS

Excuse me internet, may I have a scripty font please? Why sure you can. Here’s like a thousand to choose from. Good luck!

There’s a silver lining. I’m almost done. The person happiest about this development?  Nope, not yours truly. It's Mr. H. He doesn’t have to deal with me shoving 5 different shades of silver paper in his face and asking which looks “wedding-y, but not too wedding-y, you know?”.

I’ll share some hints about the invites once the details are more solidified.

Am I the only one that had trouble with their invitation designs?


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I'm designing my own and I swear I could spend HOURS on dafont.com choosing fonts to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I was under the impression that the madness would stop once we settled on an invitation kit. I was WRONG! We are getting closer, but after reviewing hundreds of examples of invite wording, tons of fonts, and different layouts for the RSVP cards I feel like I'm moving backwards, not forwards!
    We have finalized the wording, and decided to include directions, but not a map, on the informational card. We still need to finalize the font selection (thought we had this settled last night, and then I made the mistake of looking at fonts again! Arrrg!), and the informational and RSVP cards.
    I really wanted to get our invites out this week; hoping to still make it!
    Mr. T (although a good sport) is getting tired of "Does this one sound better than the last?" and "Which one of these do you like better?"
    Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Manda! Heading over to dafont.com now! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails