Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Seating chart?

I spent last weekend doing something slightly irrational. I was working on my seating chart. I’m crazy into doing things in advance. So much so, that I now know where everyone is sitting before even sending out (not to mention making) the invites. 

And yes, I should probably have waited till I got the RSVPs back but who cares. I now have a framework. I technically had one of these done before. That one was just a breakdown of who would be at what table. This. . . is assigned seating baby.  

Hot dog! I’m officially off my rocker.

Personal Pic


 
On a scale of easiest to hardest assigned seating falls on the most difficult end of the spectrum.
 
I could’ve gone with open seating. That’s the easiest on the host. I’m a control freak though so that idea was abandoned before it was even considered.
 
What about just assigning tables?

Baaah! Where's the fun in that??

This one time when I was at a wedding for someone I didn't know they had assigned tables and me and the boy sat down and then this other couple came and took our seats when we weren't looking. True story. Sort of. Not really but you get the point.

Here's the deal with tables. I'm having 4 reeeeeally long tables. A nod to the tea party scene in Alice in Wonderland.

Let's say 50 people at a table.

I made up a little spreadsheet with two columns, a left side and a right side. The left side is the odd numbered side and the right side is the even numbered side.

Like so:



This actually wasn't so hard at all. For the most part I only had to be careful about the people sitting on either side of an individual. The other pro of the long table was that I didn't have to break up any groups.

Mr. H had a great theory about couples which helped me with the placement of people.

Mr. H's Theory

If a couple is pretty sociable you can seat them across from each other because they will talk to other people. If a couple isn't sociable or doesn't know anyone else then seat them next to each other and they can entertain themselves all night.

I think that's a pretty solid theory. What do you guys think?


Lastly, the tables won't change too much even if people RSVP that they can't make it. Everyone can just move up one.
 
Thoughts?


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your table names! How fun is that :-)
    I'm enough of a nut that I am planning our seating chart in Visio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mr. H's idea sounds good! It's always easier to talk across the table than to people to your left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about these things! Even if things have to change down the road, hopefully they'll only be little tweeks and you'll be so far ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Mr H's idea sounds good, too. We're not doing a seating chart because everyone in our families has expressed that they would rather just sit wherever they want and then mingle around and such. Plus, there is a lot of bad blood with certain family members on my FH's side and we reallllly don't want to have to deal with figuring it all out. lol. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! We're not sure how our tables will work out, but they are rectangular so they could possibly be in the same shape! I will keep this post in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As silly as it sounds I've definitely started thinking about seating arrangements. I'm just planning on assigning tables. But I can't help but think who I thinking would enjoy sitting together, even if they haven't met before now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails